Liberal Democrat

Liberal Democrat
Individual Freedom For Everyone

Sunday, October 28, 2012

ABC News: Special Report, 10/25/2002: Death of Senator Paul Wellstone: The Legacy of Paul Wellstone



I wanted to write a blog last week about the late Senator Paul Wellstone, on the anniversary of the. Death of Paul Wellstone but I had a hectic week that even took me away from blogging for a day and had other things to write about and I'm going off of a memory from ten years ago about how I. Felt about Senator Wellstone but what I remember about Senator Wellstone from 2002, is the same man I remember about him from 1996 when I first heard his name and saw the Progressive Democrat get elected. To the US Senate from Minnesota, a State that clearly leans Democratic but doesn't go very far to the left or right, one thing that made Senator Wellstone incredible, because he clearly. Wasn't a Centrist or a Moderate-Liberal but a hard core Progressive Democrat who was proud of his ideology and articulated it very well, I didn't agree with him on much as it related to. Economic Policy but at least I always knew what he believed and the guy I remember from 2002, is the same guy I remember when I first heard of him in 1996. As probably the most Progressive Senator in Congress and one of the most Progressive Members of Congress period, as well as one of the. Most honest Members of Congress as well.

There are several things I respect about Senator Wellstone and they all get back to why he was a Senator. That politics and government were about the people, how can we best serve the people to help them make their lives as good as possible, especially for people who aren't doing as well. As the rest of the country, he was about country meaning America and the American people, he wasn't anti success or anti wealth but he believed that all Americans should have the opportunity. To do as well as the special few and that wealth shouldn't be concentrated in a few hands but wanted an Economic System that worked for the whole country. Whether you agree with the policies that he favored to accomplish that or not, thats what he believed in, he was called the first member of the. 1960s generation to be elected to the Senate, which would've been 1990, not a direct quote but pretty close. He had sorta this hippy boomer idea that American Capitalism wasn't the problem but that it had to work for everyone, not just the special few.

Two things I think of when I think about Senator Paul Welltone, his opposition to the Iraq War back. Before it became unpopular and arguing that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11 and it would take our focus off of Al Qaeda and his opposition to No Child Left Behind in 2002 again while that. Bill was still popular, saying that it would lead to more Unfunded Mandates onto the States and make it harder for States to fund Public Education, he was write on both fronts and thats. The mark of a great Leader someone whose right about issues and can express their views on them, when they are popular or unpopular.
Post a Comment